When the Academy of Medicine was formed in 1957, Dr J A Jansen was as one of its dental founding members. As the membership strength of dental surgeons increases in the ensuing years, the Chapter of Dental Surgeons was officially formed within the Academy of Medicine, Singapore in 1979 with Dr Edmund Tay Mai Hiong as the first Chairman of the Dental Chapter Committee 1979-1980. Following upon the footsteps of Dr Edmund Tay, many prominent Dental Academicians from both Institutions and Private Sector had come forth to lead the Dental Chapter since then. The membership strength in the Dental chapter had grown steadily from 37 members in 1982 to the current number at 179 Fellows. Over the years, the Dental Chapter has continued to play a significant role in the continuing education of dental surgeons in general as well as influencing and contributing to the nurturing and development of dental specialties in Singapore
The idea of having an Academy of Medicine in Singapore was first proposed by some 20 medical specialists on 19 July 1957 and was named then as “Academy of Physicians & Surgeons”. It was officially formed by 34 founding members (comprising Dental Surgeons, Physicians and Surgeons) and was renamed in 1958 as “Academy of Medicine, Singapore”. Dr JA Jansen (Professor of Prosthetic Dentistry) was one of the dental founding members.
This article is available only as a PDF. Please click on “Download PDF” to view the full article.