The Inaugural Meeting of the Chapter of Psychiatrists and Chapter of Pathologists, Academy of Medicine, was held on 5 December 1986 at King’s Hotel, Singapore. Though the Academy of Medicine was duly founded in 1957, the Chapter of Psychiatrists has been in existence only since 1986. Over the last 20 years, the Chapter is very much involved in organising activities, symposia and workshops for doctors and psychiatrists. In 1998, the Guidelines on the Practice of Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) were issued by the Academy of Medicine, Singapore. The challenges ahead of us include: membership growth and formation of College, communication with members, and close liaison with other psychiatric associations.
The Inaugural Meeting of the Chapter of Psychiatrists and Chapter of Pathologists, Academy of Medicine, was held on 5 December 1986 at King’s Hotel.1,2 At that time the Academy already had 7 Chapters in her fold. The Chairman, Dr Lawrence Chan (then Master of the Academy of Medicine) remarked that the addition of two new Chapters was a step forward for the Academy.1 He compared the Chapters with grassroots responsible for the bulk of continuing medical education activities for members, trainees and other interested doctors. The Inaugural Meeting was attended by 25 members, of whom 14 were psychiatrists.2 The following were elected as office bearers: Dr Teo Seng Hock (as Chairman), Dr Tsoi Wing Foo (Vice-Chairman), Dr Kok Lee Peng (Honorary Secretary), Dr Wong Yip Chong (Committee member), Dr Chee Kuan Tsee (Committee member) and Dr Ong Thiew Chai (Committeemember).
This article is available only as a PDF. Please click on “Download PDF” to view the full article.