The Chapter of Surgeons was inaugurated in 1966 following the formation of the Academy of Medicine, Singapore in 1957. The formation of the Chapter of Surgeons was to look after the interest of surgeons in the Academy of Medicine. Over the years, it has successfully organized many academic activities for its members. In 2004, the Chapter of Surgeons transformed into the current College of Surgeons. The College continues to involve itself in training, continuing education and examination activities.
The Academy of Medicine, Singapore was duly founded in 1957 as the professional corporate body of medical and dental specialists in Singapore. The Chapter of Surgeons was inaugurated in 1966 by the Master of the Academy of Medicine, Professor K Shanmugaratnam, as one of the first two Chapters of the Academy. The first chairman elected was Mr Yahya Cohen (Fig. 1). The Fellows of the Chapter of Surgeons were all fully trained surgeons who organised meetings in their specific fields of interest
This article is available only as a PDF. Please click on “Download PDF” to view the full article.