• Vol. 36 No. 7, 581–586
  • 15 July 2007

A History of the Chapter of Public Health and Occupational Physicians

319



0 Citing Article
319 Views
28 Downloads

Download PDF

ABSTRACT

The Chapter of Public Health and Occupational Physicians was formed in 1980, 23 years after the founding of the Academy of Medicine in Singapore. From a modest beginning with 12 foundation Fellows, the Chapter has provided professional leadership and continuing education in public health and occupational medicine. It has organised numerous talks, conferences, seminars and symposia, and a very successful series of annual scientific meetings. The content of these activities reflect the concerns and developments of public health and occupational medicine in Singapore throughout the last quarter century. Fellows of the Chapter serve on national specialist training committees and on academic programme committees of both specialities. The Chapter also provides recommendations to the Academy on specialist qualification and training. With an active current membership of 100 Fellows, which is still growing, the Chapter is poised to further raise the professional standards and practice of public health and occupational medicine in Singapore.


The history of the Chapter of Public Health and Occupational Physicians began with the founding of the Academy of Medicine in 1957. It was the first professional corporate body of medical and dental specialists in Singapore.

This article is available only as a PDF. Please click on “Download PDF” to view the full article.