This essay consists of three parts. The first, based on Woodbridge Hospital records, explains how the Mental Hospital was renamed Woodbridge Hospital in 1951, an issue which had received intermittent press publicity, though its full details have not been published before. The second part of the essay traces the exact location of the wooden bridge after which the hospital is named. The last part concerns a missing photograph of a Woodbridge Hospital outside Singapore.
In the 1920s the government embarked on an ambitious programme to build hospitals, staffed largely by graduates of the King Edward College of Medicine. The “Mental Hospital”, commissioned and built by the British in 1928, was sited at Yio Chu Kang and spread out over 80 hectares of sprawling land 12 kilometres by road north-east from the city centre.
This article is available only as a PDF. Please click on “Download PDF” on top to view the full article.