The Singapore Medical School celebrates its Centenary in 2005. This historical review is presented on Singapore’s postgraduate medical education and specialist training programmes. The special informal role of the Alumni Association and its members during the early years and soon after World War II is highlighted. Postgraduate education and specialist training was more formalised only during the challenging years when Singapore became more autonomous and politically independent with the establishment of the Academy of Medicine, the School’s postgraduate medical studies, the Singapore Medical Association, specialist societies and, more recently, the College of Family Physicians. Specialist training programmes and the process of specialist accreditation are also outlined. While Singapore has gone far towards developing a comprehensive programme of postgraduate medical education and specialist training, the process is still evolving and can be improved upon. As long as we keep pace with relevant and realistic strategies, the future for postgraduate medical training and specialist training should be assured.
The Singapore Medical School was established by the British colonial government in 1905, and formally celebrates its centenary in 2005. The School was the predecessor of the King Edward VII College of Medicine and the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Malaya (now the National University of Singapore). Indeed, this is a most significant and historical milestone. By 1910, the School had its first batch of 7 graduates, all from Singapore and the Malayan Peninsula. They received the Licentiate in Medicine and Surgery (LMS).
This article is available only as a PDF. Please click on “Download PDF” to view the full article.