The Medical School in Singapore was founded on 3 July 1905 and named the Straits and Federated Malay States Government Medical School. There were 23 students in the first enrolment; 16 students attended the full course, while 7 attended a 2-year course for hospital assistants. The pioneer group of 7 that graduated in May 1910 (the Magnificent Seven) consisted of Drs Chen Su Lan, Edwin Williborod deCruz, and John Gnanapragasam from Singapore; Drs Willie Carnegie and Mark W Chill from Penang; Dr SR Krishnan from Seramban and Dr John Scott Lee from Ipoh. In December 1910, a further 6 students graduated. Of this first batch of 13 graduates in 1910, we describe the careers of 6; no records exist of the remaining 7.
The Medical School in Singapore was founded on 3 July 1905; it was named the Straits and Federated Malay States Government Medical School. It was the forerunner of the Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore (NUS). This year (2005), the Faculty of Medicine (NUS) and the NUS celebrate their centenaries.1-3
This article is available only as a PDF. Please click on “Download PDF” to view the full article.