• Vol. 36 No. 7, 525–540
  • 15 July 2007

From the Chapter of Physicians, Academy of Medicine, Singapore to the College of Physicians, Singapore

44



ABSTRACT

Following the establishment of the Academy of Medicine in 1957, the Chapter of Physicians was formed within the Academy in 1966 when there was a sufficient number of physicians to warrant its formation. Over the 40 years, the Chapter played a major role in providing, promoting and enhancing Continuing Medical Education (CME) for the physician specialists in Singapore. The Chapter gradually grew in size and scope. In early 2000s, it had more than 450 members specialising in 14 Internal Medicine-related specialties. Because of the critical mass, specialization and sub-specialization in Singapore, the Chapter was no longer able to represent the diverse interests of physician specialists, as well as to further develop all these specialties and subspecialties. In 2004, the Chapter of Physicians transformed into the current College of Physicians, with its own 14 internal medicine-related specialty Chapters. Though an independent legal entity, the College and its 14 specialty Chapters continue to be affiliated to the Academy of Medicine. They will now provide and strengthen Continuing Professional Development (CPD) programme for specialists as well as augment physicians' training and certification in Singapore. The initiatives and effort of the College and its Chapters will further enhance the roles and functions of the Academy, the main professional body for all specialists in Singapore. This paper highlights the important milestones of the Chapter over the past 4 decades, describes the rationale and process of College formation, and outlines its strategy for the next decade.


The transformation of the previous Chapter of Physicians, Academy of Medicine, Singapore to the current College of Physicians, Singapore in 2004 was the outcome of a steady progress in and a natural evolution of medical specialty development in Singapore. Just like the Academy which was established in 1957 as the only professional body of the medical and dental specialists, the Chapter of Physicians was formed in 1966 when there were more than sufficient physicians to warrant the formation of the Chapter within the Academy. About 40 years later, the Chapter grew in size with more than 450 members specialising in 14 Internal Medicine-related specialties. Because of the critical mass and as a result of specialty and subspecialty development, it was logical and timely to transform the Chapter into a College with its own specialty Chapters. This paper highlights important milestones and events of the Chapter over the past 4 decades, describes the rationale and process of College formation, and outlines its strategy for the next decade.

This article is available only as a PDF. Please click on “Download PDF” to view the full article.