Volume 49, Number 6
“St Andrew’s Mission Hospital (SAMH) first began as a free dispensary for poor local and migrant women and children in 1913. As demand for such services was overwhelming, a hospital was built and opened in 1923. Located at Erskine Road, SAMH for Women and Children was a 3-storey, 60-bed hospital with an outpatient clinic. A notable feature of this building at that time was the provision of an elevator to help the nurses bring children patients (many with tuberculosis) to the rooftop for some sunshine. SAMH was a pioneer healthcare provider in Singapore then and also the first to provide training of local nurses.
Today, SAMH continues to serve the community by operating not only the St Andrew’s Community Hospital (Singapore’s first Community hospital) but also the St Andrew’s Autism Centre, the St Andrew’s Mission Hospital Clinics, the St Andrew’s Nursing Homes and St Andrew’s Senior Care, all located within Singapore’s heartlands.”