Volume 49, Number 10
Photo Courtesy of Institute of Mental Health
In 1928, The Mental Hospital was built in Yio Chu Kang to replace a 300-bed psychiatric facility at Sepoy Lines. It was renamed Woodbridge Hospital in 1951 in an attempt to steer away from strongly entrenched stigma associated with mental illness.
Woodbridge Hospital moved to its present premises in Buangkok Green Medical Park in 1993. Its change of name to the Institute of Mental Health reflects the hospital’s added roles in research and education.